Air Duct Cleaning & Replacement San Antonio
Atlas AC Repair is an Air Duct Specialist in San Antonio
- $200 Per Air Duct Run
- $250 Per Flex Air Duct Run
- $600 Per Steel Air Duct Run
Cost to Clean Air Ducts in San Antonio
Many homeowners in San Antonio struggle with allergies and mold making it difficult to breathe. Air ducts are a big factor in the quality of the air you breathe in your home. Over time the ductwork gets dirty from normal use allowing allergens and mold to get trapped. One solution to fix this issue is air duct cleaning. Air duct cleaning in San Antonio costs the average homeowner around $200 per vent that is cleaned.
Cost to clean one duct run
|Work||Per Vent Cleaning Cost|
|* Remove Vent Grill||$30|
|* Run Scrubbing Machine Through Vent||$140|
|* Reinstall Vent Grill||$30|
Average Home Duct Cleaning cost (15 Vents)
|Work||15 Vents Cleaning Cost|
|* Remove Vent Grills||$450|
|* Run Scrubbing Machine |
|* Reinstall Vent Grills||$450|
|Total To Clean Vents||$3,000|
|* Optional - Rebuild Plenum||$750|
|Total For Vent And Plenum Cleaning||$3,750|
When Does Duct Cleaning Make Sense?
So you just had an HVAC technician come over to check out your system. He lets you know that your ductwork is dirty and could be adding to your allergies. What should you do to fix this problem? It all starts with the type of ductwork you have now.
- Steel Ductwork – If the air ventilation on your home is made from metal, then cleaning them is the right move. Steel ductwork is very durable, so when the cleaning company runs the scrubbing machine, it will not damage what you have now. On top of that, steel ductwork is extremely expensive to replace; that’s why many homeowners go with cleaning the vents.
- Flex Ductwork – Flex ducting is typically found in the attic. It is the flexible tubes that are running throughout your attic. It is better not to clean this type of ducting because when the scrubbing machine runs down the vent, it tears up the flex duct and tape that holds it together. It is our recommendation to simply replace flex ductwork because it doesn’t cost that much more and its don’t right.
Cost to Replace Air Ducts in San Antonio
A lot of homeowners in San Antonio opt to get all new ductwork instead of cleaning it because there is not a big cost difference depending on the type of ductwork you have now. The major benefit to new ductwork is all the allergens and mold is removed which leads to a more ideal result for the homeowner and their family. A good rule of thumb to how much you will pay for new ductwork is around $250 per vent run.
Cost to replace one flex duct run
|Work||Per Duct Replacement Cost|
|* Remove Existing Air Duct||$45|
|* Run New Duct||$160|
|* Seal Duct Run||$45|
Average Home Duct Replacement cost (15 Vents)
|Work||Replace 15 Duct Run Costs|
|* Remove Existing Air Duct||$675|
|* Run New Duct||$2,400|
|* Seal Duct Run||$675|
|Total To Replace Ducts||$3,750|
|* Optional - Rebuild Plenum||$750|
|Total For Duct And Plenum Replacement||$4,500|
When Does Replacing Ductwork Make Sense?
It is common for many homeowners in San Antonio to struggle with deciding whether they should clean or replace their ductwork. An easy way to help navigate what you should do is to start with the type of ductwork you have now.
- Flex Ductwork – Flex ducting is the most common type of ductwork in the San Antonio area. This type of ducting is typically found in your attic, and it looks like large flexible tubes running throughout your attic. It usually is best to replace flex ductwork because cleaning them with a scrubbing machine could ruin your ducts. Since the cost is not that different to replace vs. cleaning the ducts, most homeowners opt to replace their flex ductwork.
- Steel Ductwork – When it comes to metal ductwork, it is the opposite to flex duct. Steel ducting is normally installed inside the floors and furr downs. This makes it extremely difficult to get access and replace the vent, making the cost to replace it unrealistic unless the home is being renovated. The cleaning scrubber that is used to clean the vents will not damage the steel ducts. In this scenario, you are better off cleaning the steel ducts vs. replacing them.
Home Air Quality Options
Many families in San Antonio struggle with allergies and mold, making it difficult to function some days. A lot of homeowners believe that the best way to solve the allergies and mold problem is by cleaning the air ducts. This will help, but there are also a few more options that can be done to help improve the indoor air quality of your home. Options like, installing a UV light in your air handler or upgrading your filters to better catch the small particles in the air. Combining all of this together can greatly improve the air quality in your home.
A UV light is a great way to help reduce the number of allergens and mold that pass through your HVAC system. A UV light can be installed inside the indoor air handler and it sits under the coils. When airflow past the light the UV raze sterilizes almost all the particles. This turns your HVAC system into a giant air purifier. One important thing to note is not all UV lights are created equal. Some brands work far better than others in both effectiveness and longevity. Give us a call if you would like to find out more about all the UV options you have.
Many homeowners in San Antonio are unaware that most cheap off-the-shelf filters don’t offer much protection against particulates. To solve this problem we usually will install a 4″ media filter with a high Merv rating. This will help ensure as many particles are being pulled out of the air as possible.